Every now and then I go through this phase of spending hours on the greatest cricket website's free to consumers statistics program, aptly named Statsguru in the hunt for the ultimate cricket trivia. However I usually don't end up noting down the gems and most probably go looking for them again a few months down the line. Last night was a particularly successful one and this time I have them all right here. Check your cricket trivia quotient answers are at the bottom in a jumbled fashion.
Note: All "current" records are valid as of Jan-11-2013.
1. What is the lowest total defended by a team in an ODI after being all out?
2. This happened for the 1st time in 1992, 2nd in 1998 and has happened 43 times since then. What?
3. Which current batsman has the highest Test average (min. 50 Tests)?
4. How many players have scored 10,000+ runs in both Tests & ODIs?
5. Who was the last cricketer to play Test cricket post the age of 40? [Hint in September 2003]
6. Who is the only player to have captained a test team before turning 21?
7. Who are the only 3 players to have an ODI average of over 50, having played at least 50 matches?
8. The person who holds the record for highest ODI runs scored, before turning 18, also holds the record for highest wickets before 18. Who?
9. Ashfaq Ahmed (Pak), AJ Mackey (Zim), AM Nayar (Ind) & Shadab Kabir (Pak) have the worst record possible in ODI cricket. What?
10. Which cricketer played the highest number of tests (119) without ever bowling a ball?
11. What unique distinction did Tino Best miss by 5 runs in the Edgebaston test against England in June 2012?
12. Which cricketer played the highest number of tests (133) without ever taking a wicket in his career?
13. What did Tendulkar do for the last time on 31-Jan-2007 in an ODI V West Indies?
14. In cricket, what happened for the first time in 1938 and there was a 20 year gap till 1958 and 16 year gap till 1990?
15. In an otherwise inconspicuous West Indies - Zimbabwe match in 2001 in Harare Cameron Cuffy was awarded the Man of the Match making it very unique in some way. What was special about Cuffy's performance in winning the award?
1. India (125) beat Pakistan (93) in Sharjah in 1985 [scorecard]
2. Teams won ODIs chasing 300+. Sri Lanka first to do so against Zimbabwe in 1992 [scorecard]
5. Alec Stewart (England) vs South Africa at the age of 40 years and 5 months [scorecard]
3. Jacques Kallis - 56.73 [full list]
7. Mahendra Singh Dhoni (India), Hashim Amla (South Africa) & Michael Bevan (Australia)
6. Tatenda Taibu (Zimbabwe) Vs Sri Lanka in May 2004 at 20 years and 11 months [scorecard]
9. They have had the longest ODI career (3 each) without scoring a run or taking a wicket [List]
8. Shahid Afridi (1239 runs and 37 wickets in 56 matches before he turned 18)
11. He could've been the first No. 11 batsman to score a century (got out at 95) [Scorecard]
10. Ian Healy (Australia) [Full list]
12. Alec Stewart (England) [Full list]
14. Triple centuries - Len Hutton scored 364 in 1938, followed by Gary Sobers' 365* in 1958. Graham Gooch' 333 in 1990 came 16 years after Lawrence Rowe's 302 in 1974
13. Score an ODI century while not opening the innings [scorecard]
15. He received the man of the match award without scoring a run, taking a wicket or a catch [Scorecard]
1. Lowest score in a test innings (26) < Lowest score in an ODI innings (35) < Lowest score in a T20 innings (67)
2. Graeme Smith will become the first player to captain his team in 100 Test matches during his next test (99 as of now)
3 (a). India has won more matches chasing 300+ (13) than any other country. Sri Lanka distant 2nd with 7 300+ chase wins.
3 (b). India has lost more ODIs after scoring 300 in the 1st innings (7) than others. Close 2nd - England & West Indies (6 each).
4. Abey Kuruvilla, known for his sub-par fielding skills, holds the record for highest no. of tests (10) without taking a catch!
5. The 113* by MSD against Pak in Chennai in Dec 2012 is the highest score by a #7 or below in ODI history.
6. Imagine what could've happened had Tendulkar come good in this match? Maybe we would have missed out on an entire career - http://goo.gl/QmGW4 (He batted at number 7)
7. Highest number of centuries scored as captain - Graeme Smith (24) in Tests and Ricky Ponting (22) in ODIs
8. The highest scores in tests (400*) and ODIs (219) have both been scored by captains - Brian Lara & Virender Sehwag.
9. Stephen Fleming scored the highest number of ducks in tests (13) as captain. In ODIs 'honour' shared between Fleming & Ranatunga (13)
10. Dwayne Bravo has the highest career Test runs (1637) without ever scoring a duck. Kepler Wessels led in ODIs with 3367.
11. Vijay Manjrekar has the highest career Test runs (3208) without ever scoring a six, Manoj Prabhakar leads in ODIs with 1858.
12. India has a win/loss ratio of 0.77 in Tests (all time) only better than Bangladesh (0.04), Zimbabwe (0.17) and New Zealand (0.46)
13. The most consistent ODI side in history is South Africa with a 1.83 Wins:Losses ratio, in Tests it is Australia with 1.81.
14. Among Test playing nations, in ODIs, England has the highest "lowest total" of 86 & Bangladesh has lowest "highest total" of 320
15. In Tests, the lowest "highest total" is 556 by Bangladesh and the highest "lowest total" is 71 by Sri Lanka.